That sounds easy enough. Right? Some projects sound so easy, but pull your hair out every step of the way. What size to do. I settled on a 13 x 13 x 11 Drum Shade. I usually don't do quite so deep a drum shade, but the pattern on this fabric worked best this way. After cutting my pattern of styrene out..... I realized I didn't have the 13" washer top... so it became a 12" x 12" x 11" high.
Iron fabric. Love this fabric. It's a Japanese fabric designed by Etsuko Furuya. I've seen it all over the web, I got mine at, Alewives Fabrics in Maine. They have a beautiful site that's easy to use. Check them out.
Cut styrene and laminate to fabric. Sounds easy, but opps I cut the fabric the wrong way. This fabric has birds and yupp, they were sideways when I cut the fabric... try again. Good thing I didn't make a big shade; this fabric is not super wide and the design goes across the fabric.
This is how I cut the pattern. I am planning on using a hanging trim on the bottom and use a grosgrain ribbon, too. On the bottom I cut the fabric flush to the end of the styrene. On the top, I plan on wrapping the fabric around the top wire; I have left about 3/4" of fabric. On one end I cut the fabric flush to the styene and the other I left 1/4" to glue to inside of shade for clean edge.
Adding glue to the end.
Folding fabric on end to inside of styrene.
I like to start gluing the top first. It allows me to hold on to the middle of the wire washer top and walk it along the edge.
You can see the top fabric that will glue and wrap to the inside of the shade.
And another sort of boo boo... hum, look how the fabrics came together in the back. drats. Repeat of pattern. I used a contrasting self trim on the seam to break it up. To make lampshades is often being a problem solver.... It drives me slightly crazy how this worked out, but it will have to do. It is what it is....
Adding the grosgrain on the bottom.
Inside of shade. I used a 3/8" grosgrain on the inside seam, not necessary, but it looks more professional.
I also used a soutache on the inside top. I added this after I had folded the fabric to the inside of shade. It too is not necessary, but is a nice finish.
Last I added the bottom trim. And..... of course there was a hang up there, too. As I was gluing the trim on, I noticed as I got to the end there was one without the little turquoise ball....wouldn't you know it. To save the day, I cut the end on a diagonal and glued it down and then started another piece and overlapped just a little. You can hardly notice it...
Some days go smooth and others............the lampshade lady just might be saying the f word.....( I always threaten that will be my next book, ha! much to my mother's horrors) (and I can hear Shirley laughing, Shirley is a very fine seamstress and designer that occasionally might use those words:))